The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide. Our business operations and activities have an impact on the environment and as such, we are committed to managing and minimising our impact on the environment.
Our Environmental Management System (EMS) has achieved ISO14001 certification across the UK estate and our environmental action plan sets targets for reducing our carbon footprint in the UK.
We use our Environmental Framework Tool (EFT) to manage our environmental impact across our overseas network in over 100 countries.
The British Council is committed to:
- reviewing, understanding, and controlling the range of environmental impacts arising from our activities
- ensuring that we comply with UK and international environmental legislation
- setting environmental objectives and targets for activities with significant environmental impact
- communicating our progress in reducing our environmental impact to relevant internal and external stakeholders
- monitoring and improving the environmental impact of our business travel and exploring new ways of delivering cultural relations work sustainably.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
The British Council will review this global policy statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.